AquaPoppy Designs

31 March 2008

Lions, Tigers and Bears! Oh My!

Ok, not really, but...

When we started house-hunting in Bartlesville, we looked at some of the newer developments on the east side of town. We nearly bought a lot, but at the last minute decided we might want to look at some older homes.

Our (probably very frustrated) realtor pointed us toward the downtown area. She said living downtown was kind of the trendy thing to do in Bartlesville (like that was a bad thing) but Matt and I loved it because it felt more like living in a bigger city.

Bartlesville only has a population of about 35,000, but because of ConocoPhillips, there is an actual downtown area. With a couple of "skyscrapers" and everything.



So, we liked the idea of living in the "city" part of Bartlesville instead of the suburb part. We had a home with a lot of character in Tulsa and I hated the idea of having a house that looked just like ten others on the same street. And we are very happy with that decision and we love our house. BUT...

Even though we live downtown, to get to our house you pass by large wooded areas and it actually looks like you are headed to the country. And just this week alone, I have seen four critters that belong in the country...not in my neighborhood.

Friday, on our way home from the grocery store, a deer ran out in front of my Jeep! It was a 1/2 of a mile from my house. Then Saturday, on our way out of town, we saw two coyotes in nearly the same spot we saw the deer. Again, 1/2 a mile from our house! And then last night, I opened the front door (I think I was heading out to my car, but I honestly don't remember now), and a possum was sitting on my front step, just staring at me. Like he had rang the doorbell and was waiting on me to answer the door. And the sight of me didn't phase him at all. After, I slammed the door shut, I kept peeking out the window. He finally sauntered off a couple of minutes later.

I guess I better keep on my toes out here in the wilderness!

No comments: