AquaPoppy Designs

12 June 2008

What a week!

As I was finishing up my last post, I got a call from Evan's school. He had gotten so upset that he had made himself throw up. I was fairly certain he wasn't sick but I had to pick him up anyway. I couldn't believe the little turkey had found a loophole!

After picking him up, it was lunchtime (which he ate like a champ!) and then nap time. I woke up from our nap with a sore throat, a slight fever and a somewhat congested head. And it just got worse as the day progressed. This was on top of my still achy stomach. Believe me, I don't know if there has ever been a day that I have felt more sorry for myself.

Tuesday was just more of the same and luckily, Matt had already taken the afternoon off so that we could have a family day. Well, I bailed on the boys and stayed home and rested while they went swimming.

Wednesday was my regularly scheduled appointment with my OB and I also had my glucose test and a biophysical scan scheduled. I really didn't feel like driving into Tulsa but I hated to put off an opportunity to see the baby. Plus after Sunday's visit to Labor and Delivery, I felt like I should really keep my appointment. I also decided at the last minute to keep Evan home from school and take him with me and swing by his doctor to check out a cough he has had since Memorial Day week-end.

First stop was the pediatrician. Dr. Daley really thinks Evan's problem stems from allergies so he increased his medicine load to now include Singulair. Poor kid. I just hate that he takes Zyrtec and Singulair and I STILL have to chase him around with a Kleenex. I really don't think there have been many days this spring that he has felt good but the little guy never complains and is such a trooper about it all.

My mom met us after the appointment to let Evan play at Ma's (my grandma) house while I did my round of appointments.

First of all, I went to the lab to drink my icky sugary goop for the glucose test. I then went upstairs and had my biophysical scan (which I don't know how this is different from an ultrasound but my doctor will now perform them regularly since I have high blood pressure. They measure the baby and the organs and just have a good look around. Good news is that everything looked great and she was being quite the performer yesterday. Bad news is that she is measuring almost two weeks too large.)No problems there.

I then went to wait on my doctor who had to run over to the hospital for a minute. I noticed my hour for my glucose test was almost up so I went back down to the lab. I told the receptionist I was back to draw blood for my glucose test. She looked at my lab sheet and said I had about five minutes left but to go on back and they would be there in a minute. So then a different lady comes in and starts to get another drink ready. I told her I already did that...I just need my blood taken. She informed that I did in fact need to take the drink. I asked her if she was sure, I had already taken it. She ignored me. I asked one more time. She just huffed at me and said she was sure. Well, I was feeling really bad by then and my decongestant had completely worn off so I just drank up. She then starts telling me that I can't eat or drink for an hour, blah, blah, blah. And I reply "I already did that...an hour ago." She then screams at me "Why didn't you tell me that??", leaves the room and starts screaming at the receptionist about why she didn't mention I had already drank the syrup. I finally got up and followed her in and said "Look here lady. I told you THREE times that I had already drank the syrup. You just didn't listen. DO NOT blame this on anyone but yourself. And I will be sure to let my doctor know exactly what happened."

So back upstairs I went with a severely congested head and an extreme sugar high. I was so jittery! I went back to my room and Dr. Gray came right in. She asked if I had my blood taken and I said "no" and then proceeded to tell her the story. It made me feel good that she was just as mad as I was. Of course it doesn't change the fact that I have to do this dreaded test once again but I did find out that Bartlesville has four of the same labs so I can do it here and not drive all the way back into Tulsa for the test.

Dr. Gray then asked about my visit on Sunday to L&D and wanted to know my exact symptoms. She then wanted to know who my nurse was and what exactly she did while I was there and what did she say to me when I checked out. I thought it was all very, very strange.

Well, it was strange because Dr. Gray informed me that I had a bladder infection and my symptoms from Sunday were very textbook when pregnant. They had taken a urine sample at the hospital but never ran it. Can you believe it? I was a little mad (well, maybe more than a little) but also relieved that there was a fix to my problem.

So that brings us to today. Evan now has a 101 degree fever and a constant runny nose and cough. Mom is still sick (but doing much, much better) and unfortunately Dad is now displaying symptoms.

Thanks for letting me rant...I feel much better in that regard at least!

And just because I think a post is always better with pictures...

Finger painting one day last week. As you can tell, Evan really enjoyed expressing himself artistically. Thanks Aunt Clydella for the paints!




What's that sound?

An Airplane!!

No comments: