AquaPoppy Designs

18 July 2008

Pregnancy Update

I haven't exactly fallen off the face of the Earth, but it sure seems like it to me. I just wanted to give a quick pregnancy update and let everyone know what is going on.

I went to my 32 week appt. on July 8, had a biophysical scan (they do these routinely on me because I had preeclampsia with Evan and delivered four weeks early). Libby looked really good and was actually weighing in at a little over 5 lbs (which is huge for 32 weeks). But when I got to the patient room, the nurse took my blood pressure and it was really high. And then the first thing my doctor asked was what this baby was doing to me. And then she said I wasn't going to like what she was going to make me do. Immediately I just thought she meant bedrest because of the high blood pressure.

She then told me that my amniotic fluid was really low. Average for 32 weeks should be about 10 cm. and I only had 3 cm. So she sent me to the hospital...FOR A WEEK!! They literally wheeled me out of the exam room and straight to the 6th floor of St. John's across the way.

I was told that there were basically three scenerios:

1.) If my fluid did not increase (or happened to decrease) in 48 hours, they would take the baby on Friday morning. She would have been 33 weeks.

2.) If my fluid increased but only marginally, I would remain in the hospital until 35 1/2 weeks and they would take her at that time.

OR 3.) If my fluids increased significantly, I could go home on bedrest until they decided the time was right to take her.

The AF doubled after 2 1/2 days of IVs of saline and steroids (which were actually to strengthen the baby's lungs in case she had to come too early) and then by Monday it was up to 11 cm. I also had semi-regular contractions the entire time I was in the hospital. Too regular to be Braxton-Hicks but not regular enough to be labor.

I was released late Monday night but am on strict bedrest until the baby comes. But I have to be honest, it is really hard to do bedrest with a two year old so it isn't exactly as strict as it should be. I am trying really hard but poor Evan just doesn't understand and he had such a hard time when I was in the hospital, that I just am giving in to his every request...uh, demand.

I also found out the baby is breech so I may have to have a c-section. At first my AF was so low they didn't think she would be able to turn into the proper position, but now that the levels are ok...it is definitely a possibility that she will move out of the breech position.

It is just really frustrating right now for me. My doctor kept saying she would probably take the baby at 36 weeks but then she went on vacation and the doctor filling in said 38 weeks since levels were back to normal. So just like with Evan...I have absolutely no idea when this kiddo will grace us with her presence. Hopefully, I will know a little more by next Monday or Thursday's biophysical scans.

No comments: