AquaPoppy Designs

22 January 2010

Uh Oh!!

Last night, we decided to bake a cake. Since I am not completely crazy and there is no way I am baking a cake from scratch with assistance from two children, we went digging in the pantry. The only cake mix was for a Red Velvet cake (which happens to be my very favorite). After mixing it all up and sticking it in the oven, I let the kids lick the spoons. I think this is the first time I have let Libby near the batter...at least at my house. And guess what? She loved it!!



But there is some sad news to report...Libby had a reaction to the red dye! That poor girl was as red as a beet and you could tell she was itchy. I felt so bad for her. And a little bad for myself because obviously I can't have Red Velvet cake around if Libby can't partake.

I am glad I finally figured out what was causing her to react to certain foods. The biggest culprit seemed to be Chinese food, so I was wondering if she had an intolerance to soy, peanuts or MSG. But a lot of the Chinese sauces have a red dye in them. So, mystery solved!

No comments: