AquaPoppy Designs

11 November 2008

Back to School

A few weeks ago, we drove by Evan's old school. When he caught a glimpse, he said he wanted to go to school. You may remember the last time we tried school, it was a complete disaster. Eight weeks of sheer torture and a lot of crying by both Evan and Mom. So needless to say, I was a bit skeptical.

However, Evan brought up school almost every day for two weeks. He would say that he wanted to paint with Miss Evelyn. He would mention the sand castles on the playground. He would talk about circle time. So I decided I would start checking around and see about getting him back in school. I called a couple of different schools and actually toured one but I really liked his old school best and I just felt more comfortable there.

So last week, Matt and I took Evan back to school just for a quick tour, meet his new teacher and just see how he would react. HE DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE!! I was so surprised but I have to admit that once again I was skeptical.

We decided we would let him stay for the morning. Sure enough, when we left him in the classroom, he started wailing. You could hear him all the way down the hall. It was just awful. We went ahead and left him so we could see how he would adjust (much easier typed than done).

We had left his jacket in the car so Matt ran it back in and Evan had already quit crying. And bless Matt's heart, he went back one more time just to make sure he was still okay.

I showed up an hour and a half later to pick him up and when I walked in the room, the kids were doing circle time. I could tell Evan was a little upset and he just sat right up against Miss Evelyn (his former teacher). But he was being a trooper and trying really hard to participate. However, as soon as he saw me, he ran over and his brave face disappeared. He just cried and cried and kept saying, "You came back, Mama".

After that, I was certain I wasn't sending him back. But every day since, he has said he wants to go back to school. So I guess tomorrow we will try it again. He told me he will cry but he also said that I would come pick him up at 11:30 and we would go get a milkshake.

Please pray for my little guy tomorrow. He is really struggling to gain his independence right now, especially away from me. Evan is never one to complain and it is so hard for me as his mom to see him get hurt or be sad and then watch him try to be way more grown up than he needs to be. I wish I could make him understand he is only two!!

No comments: